Meet UPSC CSE Topper Shubham Kumar(Rank 1 Holder), Story & his Interview Transcript, IIT-Bombay Alumnus
This is his third attempt at civil services. Kumar has cracked the civil services exam in 2019 as well, however, at that time he had obtained 290th rank. He could not clear it in 2018.
CSE 2020 Topper Shubham Kumar(AIR 1) Interview Transcript:
Board- TC Anant
Date- 09/09/2021, forenoon
B.Tech (Civil), IIT Bombay
IDAS, Table Tennis, Anthropology
Read my DAF.
Where are you from in Katihar. Have your childhood spent in village, are you still staying in village?
1. Tell me about Katihar
2. As DM of Katihar, tell me what you will do for next 2 years
1. Tell me height of TT net
2. Difficulty in construction activity in black soil
3. Why black soil swells? Is it due to any compound/chemical?
4. Asked me about some principle related to CE (haven’t heard of)
Member 2 (lady member)
1. From where govt collects revenue- tell me the percentage wise bifurcation
2. Counter questions
1. Tell me some govt schemes being implemented in your village and their success, failures
2. Purdue Univ vs IIT Bombay (DAF)
3. Do you play sports? TT- name some players and olympians.
4. In recent para olympics, a civil servant participated. Tell me the sport and name
5. OFB corporatisation
6. Afghan issue- what is happening there and India’s interest
1. DAP2020 vs DPP 2016 (DAF)
2. earlier offset clause in defence procurement was an issue for MSME. Tell me the reasons
3. Why separate accounts department for defence?
4. Why Civil services after IIT
Transcript Source: Telegram Channel
CSE 2020 Topper Shubham Kumar(AIR 1) Story
The All India Rank (AIR) 1 in the UPSC civil services exam has been secured by Bihar’s Shubham Kumar. He hails from Katihar district of Bihar. He is an IIT-Bombay alumnus. Kumar has obtained a BTech degree from IIT-Bombay. He had pursued BTech in civil engineering from IIT-Bombay.
This is his third attempt at civil services. Kumar has cracked the civil services exam in 2019 as well, however, at that time he had obtained 290th rank. In 2019, he had opted for Anthropology as an optional subject. He had also attempted in 2018, however, he could not clear the exam at that time.
He had worked as a researcher in the USA. He left his job and started preparing for the UPSC Civil Services. He said that after his experience in the USA, he found that there are many gaps in India and he wanted to work towards the development of the nation, he said in an earlier interview.
With less than an hour after the declaration of results, wishes have started to pour in for Kumar. Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Shandilya Giriraj Singh has congratulated Kumar on his success.
Civil Services 2020 result released, Bihar's (Katihar) Shubham Kumar becomes topper..Congratulations to all.
— Shandilya Giriraj Singh (@girirajsinghbjp) September 24, 2021
Kumar’s father works in a bank. Talking to local media, Shubham has said that he wishes to work for the development of rural India and would love to work in the Bihar cadre, however, he is open to other cadres as well. UPSC is yet to assign cadres to qualified candidates
Story Source: news18
This year, a total of 761 candidates have been recommended for appointment. As many as 180 candidates will be shortlisted for the IAS position, 36 for IFS, 200 for IPS officers’ posts. Further 302 vacancies will be filled in central services group A and 118 in group B services.